Update added by user Mar 30
I have been contacted by Newegg. I will reply and in the for transparency, I will post up any additional thoughts I have as well as the conversations with their representative. Newegg may freely defend themselves publicly as well.
Original review posted by user Mar 29
I bought an ASUS X99-PRO/USB 3.1 motherboard and installed it as a replacement for an MSI motherboard that I damaged due to overclocking. The operating system and other tidbits installed just fine and I left it on overnight to download an expansion pack and the rest of the update package for a game. In the morning all was good. I made coffee and sat down and logged in. A few minutes later I caught a glimmer somewhere inside the case where there should be no lights. One of the PCIE 2.0 slots on the board and the installed card where on fire. Yes, you read that right. It was on fire.
I knew this was going to be a longshot but I hopped on newegg and started a chat session with a representative and explained the situation. I don't believe he had ever had a customer request an rma for something that actually caught on fire. The representative was nice and kept checking back with me to assure that he was working on the issue. I am pretty sure that he was talking to his supervisor. I probably would to. In the end, the representative asked me if I still had the box and the UPC code and if the product was damaged. I said that I did, and yes, it was. He politely informed me that he couldn't authorize an rma because the product was physically damaged. Pause for a second and let that sink in.
The only other relevant question that the representative asked me was if I had followed the instructions. I was a bit baffled for a second. It took a moment for me to realize that as a customer service representative he had no idea what my experience level is or even if I could read the instructions. Fair question. Let me put it like this: I have been working with mechanical things since I was a child and electrical things since my stint in the Navy (electrical things, boards, cards, etc., etc.) and I make my living doing that and more today. It pays for my house. Did I follow instructions? Tab A goes into Slot B. Clean, bright, seated, unbound, tight. Boot. We aren't talking about doing anything hard here. It's literally Tab A into Slot B. It ran all night and part of the morning and then went up in a glorious column of acrid smoke with a brief light show as I scrambled to de-energize the system and turn a class "C" fire into a class "A" fire. The odds of something happening like this are extremely low. I've seen it three times that I can think of. Once yesterday 03-28-16, and twice in the military.
I understand that it's an electronic device. Nobody and their dog wants to take back electronic stuff if it's been used. I get it. Newegg not only takes back electronic stuff, but sells referbs and open box stuff. So what they have effectively told me is that because it broke and was damaged physically as a result of it breaking, they can't take it back. I guess it would be ok to take it back if it broke but hadn't ruined a pci-e 2.0 slot due to heat then? I follow. It doesn't make sense in the least but I follow.
Here is something that Newegg can follow: Your bottom line depends collectively on the customers bottom dollar. Had you RMA'd the board, I would have ordered another one from your site plus some other things. I was already there. I had the product page open. As a result of you taking care of me I immediately took my business elsewhere. And it's going to be permanently. Let me tell you why. Your customer service representative offered me a $10 dollar coupon. Basically, "Here's ten bucks if you will spend more money here. We won't help you but you are welcome to spend your money here." What you really offered to do was put a bit in my mouth and ride me into the sunset hollering "Look ma! No lube!".
Had I known about this website, I would have taken a picture of the motherboard. As it is, it's resting under a pile of coffee grounds and whatever spilled out of the trash bag that my son took out this morning. The best I can do is offer up a picture of the newegg receipt. I'll offer up one of the replacement board that I ordered too. Ten dollar coupon? I'll raise you a $400 dollar board that I didn't purchase from you.
I should take the time to say that I have absolutely ZERO problems with ASUS. I have always had great luck with their products. Just because you get a bad anything every once in a great while doesn't mean the whole product line is bad. I need to build a computer for my son here in the next year or so. It may very well have ASUS inside. It depends on my needs and prices of relevant pc parts at the time. This is jus luck of the draw. Asus doesn't have to defend itself to me. I'm in manufacturing.
I also don't have an issue with the customer service representative. I work for a global brand. We have policies. So does the representative. I know he was doing as instructed.
While the product that I purchased did fail, the real product that I purchased, and had for a long time was Newegg.
More Review Details
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
What I liked
- Nice representatives
What I disliked
- Having to vote with my money
- Reason of review:
- Poor customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Asus X99 Pro
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Ive ordered JXD S5100 game tablet (device) for my son on 20th november 2012. I received package begin January 2013. After opening and examining device, i figured there is no..."
- "Dell Computer ~ Fraudulent Business Practices ~ Senior Operations Analyst Acknowledges Poor Quality Control By Ken Garneau Caveat Emptor~let the buyer beware. In a world of technology, large corporations, telecommunications, the sales..."
- "Ordered Xtream Media Server Pro-3800 Dec 23rd 2009 was told server would arrive Dec 29th 2009-Never showed! Januray 12th a Dirty, Used,dented server without owners manual, covered in greasy finger..."
- "I am not the kind of person who writes bad reviews but this guys are horrible. Read for yourself my conversation with them about one of my orders. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Irene said: 2014-06-30 19:30:13 Hi,I'm..."
- "#ALL#WOOD#FLOORS#AND#DECKS - Dave Torres was supposed to build a deck and install wood floors for us. We gave a little more than half up front for the job. After 30..."
- "One word, do NOT fall in to trap of IKEA kitchen sales.We ordered an entire set of cabinets, flooring, and counter-tops from them (IKEA draper at 67 West IKEA Way..."
- "Yesterday, I dropped my mother at the DFW Airport to take a flight on Etihad. From what I see, I find Etihad to be the most deceitful airline company ever...."
- "We have two pieces of 30" Samsonite spinner luggage in the fall of 2010. This luggage has been fantastic. I could not tell you how many trips they have been..."
- "If you click the link you will see how we got ripped off at Giunta's Meat Farm in Bohemia NY When we opened the roast beef package we saw what you..."